Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Documentaries

Today I read a very interesting article on Cinematical. The whole article was essentially about whether the term documentary should be dropped because of its social stigma. When people ask me if I am a big fan of documentaries, I have to be honest, I'm not. I love all different sorts of movies but I couldn't say that documentary is my favorite genre. However, it is by far one of the most powerful genres when done correctly. In thinking about this in relation to Going Home, I feel as though I sought out to make a movie that didn't abide by so-called "conventional" standards or procedures of documentaries. I wanted to make a film that I would want to see myself. In the strictest sense, Going Home is still a documentary no question. But I think it falls into a category which hasn't been clearly defined in my mind. Going Home is a documentary with a narrative sensibility... I will leave it at that...

- Jason

1 comment:

Nate Bae Kupel said...

Hi Jason,

My name is Nate and I'm the President of Boston Korean Adoptees Inc. I've been talking with Mikyung for the past several months about setting up a screening out here in Boston. I know you've been busy doing the film festival circuit, but is there any possibility we could resume talks about getting you out here for a screening?

Feel free to email me if you'd like to discuss this further.
Nate