Thursday, August 2, 2007

IKAA

Today we went to the Korean Traditional Food Institute where Jason and I learned how to make Korean Rice Cakes (dduk/떡). It was so much fun, and it tasted delicious too (but everything was pretty much prepared for us, so don't expect us to make it for you!) and we learned a few interesting things about Korean digestion vs. Western digestion, according to the head chef.

Later that day, we went to the first IKAA gathering at the Gwan Mun Sa Temple. We had a wonderful meal, followed by a number of traditional Korean performances. I have seen and heard the dances and songs of so many other cultures, but from my memory I don't remember ever seeing a traditional Korean performance like tonight. I loved all the performances, but I must say my favorite was their closing number - the Dance of the Buddha, that recreates the birth of Buddha. It was beautiful.



Photo of the Day

An ordinary day for Jason and I on the subway.

Best,

Mikyung

2 comments:

Anna said...

what's the difference between western digestion and easter digestion? I'm hoping we all have both!

Unknown said...

Dear Jason and Mikyung,

It is so touching to read about your journey. I can only imagine what an emotional and powerful experience this is for you. I wish you both the best of luck, and I look forward to reading more and seeing the final product of your film.

Love,
Rachel Wilder